Here we go with a warming HEALTHY dish for cold February nights around the fire!
This is a Shabbat recipe from my Israeli friends, where there has been snow in Jerusalem!
- Potato Kugel (serves 5-6)
- 5 large Russet potatoes (peeled and grated)
- An onion (grated)
- 2 beaten organic eggs
- One third of a cup of olive or coconut oil
- Himalayan rock salt or Celtic sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of Matzah bread (or breadcrumbs)
- Peel the potatoes and onion (organic if possible!)
- Use the chopping blade in a food processor to grate the potatoes and onion
- Add the beaten eggs, salt and pepper
- Top with matzah breadcrumbs
- Pour into a well greased (olive oil) casserole pot
- Bake in a moderate oven for at least one hour.
Serve with fresh organic vegetables like green broccoli and red and orange peppers for a wonderful winter warmer!
This makes the perfect 20% COOKED food to add to the 80% raw diet. We NEED hot cooked food when its cold!
Purists will immediately comment that the eggs are an animal product so this is not a vegan dish, but an ovo-vegetarian one.
This is true, but fresh organic eggs with gorgeous orange yolks can be very good for us.
If you are concerned, simply omit the eggs! The kugel turns out fine, either way.